Sunday, January 31, 2016

Firsts


Editorial Note:
It was Sudhir's birthday this past week, the end of the first month of 2016 and the start of the Royal Mumble, another project that Sudhir is working on. It is also almost our anniversary of the blog. We are proud that for almost a year we have been able to continuously bring you new music that has hopefully entertained and inspired you. This has been our first year and we have no plans of stopping anytime soon. You are welcome, world.


Sudhir's Pick
T, 
It was so great reconnecting and hanging out with most of the old gang this week. It reminded me of the old days. And I looked for a (new) song but sounded like music that was around then. Super glad I found one. Even though the band chosen is a decade old, this is off their new album and it is glorious. Please to also be getting lost in the rest of their songs. I feel I might win this week.... might. 




Tanisha's Pick

So, here's something a bit different for this week. It's not your usual music genre, but give it a listen. 


Ludovico Einaudi is my most favourite contemporary classical composer. In his last 3 albums he's been including mixes of other genres and styles, more so with electronic and synth additions. I hadn't really paid much attention to these albums. I was sort of under the impression that they wouldn't be as good as classical pieces. Last week I listened to his newest album, Elements. Was quite awed by his ability to make his music tell stories (with and without the electronica) The simplicity of the melodies, the complexities of the layers in each piece; he never fails to impress.

This is his description of his album, Elements - "I saw new frontiers - on the edge between what I knew and what I didn't know - that I had long wanted to explore: creation myths, the periodic table, Euclid's geometry, Kandinsky's writings, the matter of sound, and of colour, the stems of wild grass in a meadow, the shapes of the landscape. For months I wandered in a seemingly chaotic mix of images, thoughts and feelings. Then gradually, everything came together in a dance, as if all the elements were parts of the same world, and myself within it."

1 comment:

  1. Two hugely different genres to choose a winner! :) I think we can tie this week.

    ReplyDelete