Monday, February 15, 2016

Musical Interlude: February

I'm Mario, a filmmaker, actor and musician among other things. Coming from a family that loves music, I grew up listening to everything from the Beatles and WHAM to Illayaraja and SP Balasubramanyam. I'll be ever grateful for this, which has moulded my artistic sensibilities and made me appreciate art and music from around the globe.




Lingus : Snarky Puppy

This is a band I discovered just a couple of years ago. It's tough to categorize their music with influences varying from Jazz, to Funk to R&B and what impressed me the most is the level of composition and just how each one playing is a master at his or her chosen instrument. Absolute delight to watch. Don't miss the solo by Cory Henry! And yes, listen to the whole damn album. Its a treat, I guarantee it. 




Horse with No Name : America


This is a throwback to when not every second song was about your boo/bae walking out on you. When bands wrote songs about desert scenes and journeys. The simple melodies and no-nonsense songwriting in this song paints a perfect picture when you listen to the lyrics which is quite apt when you find out the song was inspired by a Dali painting in the band's studio. 





No comments:

Post a Comment