Monday, March 9, 2015

The Ocean of Alternative Folk

Tanisha's Pick

Learnt of a new genre of music last week- Alternative Folk. allmusic.com  describes it as folk that combines acoustic sounds and a strong singer-songwriter bent with a more energetic, aggressive sound and often with intense emotional themes.

Ali Lacey's music is just that. Such short lyrics, but deep. It's hard to really concentrate on the music and I kept drifting off when I was trying to. But that's the beauty of music like this. 

I'll hold, so near and cold. You've exhumed my love.I'm sold and our story will grow old.
But you'll make dust from gold. And I'll know that your heart was once like mine,
Watch the flaws unwind. And I'll throw my love to the ground and I'll tear you out.





Sudhir's Pick

A great way to discover new music is by watching your favourite TV shows. I can't believe that it is a actually someone's job to soundtrack pivotal moments in a TV show. Obviously, some shows do this better than others. The ones I have noticed who do it incredibly well are Chuck, the Good Wife, the OC and of course, the show which is probably the best at doing it is Grey's Anatomy. This week's pick comes from Grey's Anatomy. Nope, it is not a Snow Patrol song. Someone with a spectacular taste in music recommended this song to me and also gave me the show's soundtrack for the first few season's. Guess I know what I will be listening to for the next few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment