Sunday, February 22, 2015

And the Oscar goes to...

It's that time of the year again; the glitz and glamour on the red carpet, those 45 second speeches, the long list of nominees hoping for that golden statue and of course, Neil Patrick Harris! :D We love everything about the Oscars.

Tanisha's Pick
I didn't come close to finishing the long list of movies to watch this year in time for the ceremony. I did, however watch the movie Begin Again that has an Oscar nomination for 'Best Original Song' for the track Lost Stars sung by Adam Levine.

I totally loved the movie. I've already watched it twice and listened to the soundtrack on repeat the whole week I worked on my portfolio. My favourite song from the movie is definitely A Step You Can't Take Back. 

Ignore the average vocals of Keira Knightly and focus on the production of the song that Mark Ruffalo's character puts together in his drunkenness and depression. Pretty brilliant I think.




Sudhir's Pick
While we both love the Oscars equally, Tanisha and I differ in approaches. I stay as far away from all the Oscar-nominated movies until the winners are announced. I do this mainly to prove the political scientist in me correct by predicting the winners based on what is in the press. I do pretty well most years guessing more than 85% correctly each year.

My favourite song of the Oscar season wasn't nominated, unfortunately. Hero by Family of the Year from Boyhood perfectly defines what it means to be in your early 20s. The lyrics while being incredibly simple bleed with raw emotions. 

"And we can whisper things
Secrets from my American dreams
Baby needs some protection
But I'm a kid like everyone else"

The country- feel for the song, aided by a strong video makes this one of my top finds from last year. 



But this is a competition, after all so I am throwing my support behind 'Glory' from Selma to win the award. Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment