Sunday, July 19, 2015

Musical Interlude: July Edition

Wesley Newton never ceases to amaze me. Since our school days, his passion, talent and faith have defined his actions and these virtues continue to guide him. Coupled with loads of hard work, they have made Wesley well-known in the Bangalore music circuit as a musician (most recently of Blushing Satellite), and now entrepreneur and educator as the Director of the NAD School of Music. I have known Wes for close to twenty years now and I am overjoyed that he agreed to share his gift with us this week. You don't want to miss this.







Tower of Power : Diggin' on James Brown

This was the first song I heard that changed me from being a predominantly rock drummer to being a soul/r&b/funk drummer. "Tower Of Power" has been my favourite funk band for at least 5 years now, and is one of my biggest influences musically. This song of theirs was written as a tribute to the godfather of soul, James Brown, and has an infectiously happy vibe that is sure to get your body grooving. 






Joshua Redman : Jazz Crimes


This brilliant song by jazz tenor saxophonist, Joshua Redman, has my favourite drummer, Brian Blade, playing on it. He changed my life. No kidding! Watching him play made me realize as to what kind of drummer I really want to be like, 'cause I had never seen a drummer play in such union with the kit before, and that is exactly how I want to be. He is so responsive to the music, and his feel, flow, control, time and musicality are god-like. Okay, coming back to the song now - Jazz Crimes has a brilliant mix of funk and swing, and the syncopation on it is extremely catchy! It has a great melody, and some really well constructed improvisation too, so all in all, it makes for a must listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment