Monday, May 4, 2015

While you were listening to Britney...

Sudhir's Pick

Instead of listening to the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears in the late 90s and early 2000s I wish I was listening to these guys. Formed in 1998, this South African indie band has a beautiful way of transitioning between alternate rock, indie rock and indie pop. The arc of their development as a band is evident if you take a listen to some of their earlier songs such as Beautiful and Rock Paper Scissors. The song I picked for this week is the perfect song to play for a relaxing Sunday brunch. Trust me.




Tanisha's Pick

Keeping with the theme of music from the early 2000's, I've chosen a track by The John Butler Trio called Zebra released in 2003. One of my favourites from the album, it combines a variety of genres from the usual indie rock of JBT's music with a twist of folk, and funk rock. It also includes an awesome variety of instruments- the double bass, random percussion and of course John Butler's incredible skills on the slide guitar. 

The title of the song describes the opposites throughout the song that conclude in the words, "I can be anything I put my mind to. Man, all I gotta do is give myself half a chance

His band member's have been ever changing over the course of the past decade, but John's talent is still strong even now with his recent album last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment